I've started this blog to document my journey running while balancing motherhood, and eventually if I'm lucky enough, my next pregnancy.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Work-It Out Wednesday

What a beautiful day. I know. You're thinking I'm crazy given how hot it already is and how hot it's supposed to get today.
Here's why it's so lovely on my side. I just got back from a gorgeous run-- my speed wasn't pretty (in fact, I had to stop and walk for a tad because of the heat)-- but the scenery was amazing. I drove up to the NCR Trail in Baltimore County. Here's a couple of pictures of the view during the run.




I figured the trail would be a little easier on my body since I'm having a few pains. More on that later; I want to focus on all the good.

The entire trail was shaded and I could hear all the sounds of nature surrounding me. Running to that music truly set my mind at ease (although I did listen eventually to my Ipod and jammed out to Beyonce's Work-It Out, thus today's title. I really wanted to stop running and start dancing like Beyonce on the middle of the trail, but I held back. Man, the bikers I passed would have been in for a real treat had I been dancing instead of just running and singing!). I think my breathing was calmer; I didn't feel like I was panting like an Alaskan husky in the desert like I normally do. With that state of mind, I was more willing to listen to my body and what it needed. My hip is a little weak, so when I felt it needed a break, I gave it one.

That's another thing I love about running. It's really teaching me to listen to my body and what it needs. I feel like I'm more aware of the subtle symptoms of dehydration or a muscle imbalance. Instead of panicking and thinking an injury will sideline me for life, I'm learning new ways to make myself stronger while continuing to run.

The other beautiful thing about today... refueling with chocolate milk. It doesn't get better than going for a run and coming home to chocolate milk. It's just as good for you as Gatorade because it gives you both carbs and protein, and given the choice between Gatorade and chocolate , it's no secret as to what I will ALWAYS choose. I know my relatives are laughing because I am always making excuses to eat sweets. In fact, my husband knows that he can always bribe me to do anything with chocolate. But I swear I'm not making this up. Check it out yourself.

So given my Beyonce inspired title today, here's how I'm working out my hip imbalance today. I've noticed a little pain in my knee, and know (thanks to my generous Physical Therapist sister-in-law Anne) that in my case it's due to a couple of things... a weak hip and butt. She gave me a lot of exercises and stretches that I was religious about doing before the last half, but I've been slacking lately and what do you know... the weakness is back! So for the past week, I've been doing this workout from Runner's World.

So today, I'm thankful for this beautiful day that is reminding me to listen to my soul and keep running..

What are you thankful for?

2 comments:

  1. I am thankful you commented on my blog today so I could find you! : )
    Glad you had a peaceful, joyful run. I loved your comment and am well aware of the pressure I put on myself...and I certainly don't need to. It's a work in progress. I've got the very same weak/imbalanced hip situation too. I'd love to hear what exercises you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the exercises--I'll definitely work them in!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Nothing makes me happier (except chocolate and cupcakes... but really, who can compete with them?)