I've started this blog to document my journey running while balancing motherhood, and eventually if I'm lucky enough, my next pregnancy.

Friday, January 28, 2011

Foodie Friday- Spaghetti with Fried Eggs

I'm always looking for something that's fast and easy to make, that of course, tastes good. I think I found the perfect dish, and what makes it even more perfect is that I think this is going to be one of my go-to carbo loading meals.

I saw this recipe on the Today show a few days ago and thought it might be interesting to have on a busy day. Despite the fact that I had a snow day and had absolutely nothing to do today, it seems time slipped away from me. By the time I got finished running at the gym, it was already 6:30, and I didn't have anything defrosted. What a perfect night for Spaghetti with Fried Eggs.

It might sound a little odd, but give it a chance. I've copied the recipe below from the New York Times. The author is the minimalist chef, Mark Bittman. This was ready to plate is less than 20 minutes. It has a soft delicate flavor, and has a perfect blend of carbs and protein. One thing I will stress is to not keep the heat up too high with the eggs. This will keep the eggs nice and soft. And I really think the cheese is a must. Enjoy (I know I did)!

Recipe of the Day: Spaghetti With Fried Eggs

There are pasta dishes of the desperate cook, the one who has been too busy to shop or too busy to think, or who must put dinner on the table in 20 minutes. I love those kinds of recipes. This is one of them, taught to me a decade ago or so by Arthur Schwartz, who knows as much about Italian food as any native New Yorker has a right to.

PRINT RECIPE

Spaghetti With Fried Eggs

Yield 2 or 3 servings

Time 20 minutes

Adapted from Arthur Schwartz.

In this dish, sometimes known as \'\'poor man\'s spaghetti,\'\' you fry a couple of eggs in the olive oil after removing the garlic, which is not browned but \'\'blonded\'\' (\'\'imbiondito\'\'), cooked lightly in good olive oil and then removed from it. Tossed with the pasta, the eggs and oil create a creamy, delicious sauce.

Ingredients
  • Salt
  • 1/2 pound thin spaghetti
  • 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or lard
  • 2 large cloves garlic, lightly smashed and peeled
  • 4 eggs
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Freshly grated Parmesan or pecorino cheese, optional
Method
  • 1. Bring a pot of salted water to the boil. Start the sauce in the next step, and start cooking the pasta when the water boils.
  • 2. Combine garlic and 4 tablespoons of the oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Cook the garlic, pressing it into the oil occasionally to release its flavor; it should barely color on both sides. Remove the garlic, and add the remaining oil.
  • 3. Fry the eggs gently in the oil, until the whites are just about set and the yolks still quite runny. Drain the pasta, and toss with the eggs and oil, breaking up the whites as you do. (The eggs will finish cooking in the heat of the pasta.) Season to taste, and serve immediately, with cheese if you like.

4 comments:

  1. I saw this on the today show to, glad to know it was good. Never would have thought spaghetti and eggs together but it works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I would never have dreamed of this combo but now I am just curious enough to need to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spaghetti.... it sounds familiar even if I rarely eat this kind of pasta.
    I will pass the recipe to my wife.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw it too and somehow it made sense. I used to work for Arthur Schwartz and he's very serious and knowledgeable about food. I'm looking forward to trying it.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Nothing makes me happier (except chocolate and cupcakes... but really, who can compete with them?)