I've started this blog to document my journey running while balancing motherhood, and eventually if I'm lucky enough, my next pregnancy.

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Thoughts from a former mad woman


I've been running around my house like a mad woman today while my son has been in day care- doing laundry, folding clothes, cleaning my son's room (even though I know there's no point because he's just going to dump his toy box again as soon as he gets home), cleaning the office, organizing the basement closets, running car loads of donations to Goodwill. And I still haven't packed yet for my weekend away in Long Island.

So when the boys got home, I was feeling a little stressed. There is still so much to do and it doesn't look like I made even a dent in all the housework; I'm going to be gone all weekend and I know Dave won't get much done because it's nearly impossible to do so with Dylan. Instead of sitting down with the guys when they got home, I was still running around, hair frazzled, flying up and down the stairs.

That is until Dylan, my 2 1/2 year old son asked me for a favor. He asked to lay on my belly and watch Scooby Doo.

I couldn't say no. And so we laid on the couch together for at least 15 minutes (which is 2 hours in Dylan time; he never sits still unless he's sleeping, and even then he's still all over the place) watching Scooby while I smelled his hair, rubbed his back. And I realized I was really going to miss these kinds of simple moments this weekend. For the past few days, I've been feeling some guilt that I'd be away all weekend- guilt that I was leaving Dave all by himself to care for Dylan, guilt that I was leaving Dylan period. Dylan is growing so fast; I kept thinking I would I miss something. But the fact that I'm going away is actually making me stop for a moment and realize how lucky I am. My life isn't exciting; in fact, most people would call it borderline boring. But it is a life that makes me happy. I have two guys that I love and that love me. What more is there in life?

And I have to remember that I deserve to get out there and do something for me. Just because I'm a mom doesn't mean my life has to stop. Going to my friend's wedding this weekend is going to be great, like a high school reunion. This may be one of the last times I really get to hang out with everyone before getting pregnant again. I'm also going to get a chance to be with my very best girl friends for two nights in a row (slumber party and sleeping in!). Having this time away is going to rejuvenate me and make me that much more excited to see my guys when I get home late Sunday night.

I won't be able to get away all the time to regroup. So I was wondering, what do you do to rejuvenate yourself?

BTW: Come on back for tomorrow's Foodie Friday...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Nothing makes me happier (except chocolate and cupcakes... but really, who can compete with them?)