I've started this blog to document my journey running while balancing motherhood, and eventually if I'm lucky enough, my next pregnancy.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Top 10 Reasons to Love Fall (in an attempt to brainwash myself)

I woke up this morning a little sad. Why? Because for me, summer is almost over. I know most parents out there run through the streets in imaginary celebratory parades this time of year because it means back to school for their kids. But I want to cry. Because it's back to school for me.

I'm a teacher and my summer is almost over. I've been preparing myself for the past month. As soon as I saw the first Back to School commercial, I reminded myself that it would soon be time. But no matter how much I prepare myself, and no matter how long I've been doing this, back to school time always comes with some measure of shock and denial. NO! It's too soon. I'm not ready. I didn't get all my projects and to-do lists finished. Surely there must be some mistake; it can't be the end of August already. And I feel like I have to dig my fingernails into the door jam to hold on to the very last bits of summer. If someone wants me to go back to work, they are going to have to pry my fingernails out of the door and drag me. I refuse to go willingly (okay, I'm going to go no matter what. But I just want to sound hard right now).

This is the time when we teachers feel a collective sadness for the inevitable return of fall. It seems no matter how many prayers we send to the heavens, how many spells we try to cast, or how many ways we try to stop the Earth from rotating around the sun, fall always finds it's way to us. We grieve for the death of summer and all the freedom it brings us (with the exception of those really weird teachers who really want the first day of school to come... I have to say that while I envy their optimism and exuberance, I kind of hate them for a few days...).

My mornings of sleeping in past 5 a.m. and sitting in my pajamas until 8 or 9 (or sometimes on really lazy days right until my husband gets home from work) with my son are over until next June. No more cuddling into late morning with the little Dill Pickle. June seems like a lifetime away...

To help me brainwash myself (is that even possible?), I decided to make a list of the reasons I should be happy fall is almost here.

1. Fall means great running weather. No more running in 90+ degree weather.

2. I get a new outfit for the first day of school. I know it's a cliche stereotype about women, but shopping really does make me happy.

3. I'll get to use my jogging stroller more; Dill loves our running time together.

4. As much as I don't want to go back to work, I will get to see some of my best and closest friends every day if I do (kind of the same feeling that you probably had way back in high school). The first day is a lot of fun (okay, it's not fun at all because we're in staff meetings all day. But we make it as fun as possible by passing notes, exchanging looks/funny faces, etc. Again, it's high school all over again.)

5. I'll have more awesome stories to tell. One thing is for sure... teenagers can be really funny and teaching allows me to always have a funny story to tell at a party. And man, have I got some good stories to tell from the past 10 years of teaching.

6. I get to teach some of my favorite books and make kids love them (or else!).

7. Fall means I'll get paid again on a regular basis. Teachers don't get paid during the summer, and by August, the bank account is always a bit light.

8. It will be fall, my favorite season (I know this seems to contradict how I feel about the beginning of the school year). I love how the air smells, I love the crunch of the leaves, I love the soft breezes, and I love being able to hang outside in jeans and a light sweater. I also love that the mosquitoes are gone. :)

9. Fall means it's time for Pumpkin Cookies. My grandmother gave me her famous Pumpkin Cookie recipe. They are so good, I can only make them a few times a year because I eat about 12 in one sitting. If you leave a comment and/or become a follower of my blog, I'm willing to share it with you. This is prize enough. I have selfishly hid this recipe from everyone in my family, including my father who has asked for it several times. I am willing to sacrifice my secret recipe so I don't feel so unpopular in the blogging world (yeah, it's high school again...).

10. ????

I'm fresh out of ideas. I need some help with one more reason...


6 comments:

  1. How about that races will be happening every weekend? I love the sense of potential that seems to be everywhere in the fall. It also means busting out the cool weather running gear, which is just a combo of your #1 and #2, but it's nice to see the old capris/long sleeve tops after so many months apart.

    And I'd love your pumpkin cookie recipe (but I promise not to tell your dad that I have it ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. football?
    volleyball?
    apples and apple cider?
    mulled wine?
    halloween!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a woman of my word, so here it is.

    Pumpkin Cookies. Beware; they are like crack. Once you start, you're hooked.
    Make frosting first.
    Frosting:
    Boil until dissolved:
    3 TBS margarine
    4 tsp. milk
    1/2 c. brown sugar

    Cool and add:
    1 c. powdered sugar
    3/4 tsp. vanilla

    Frost cookies while warm.

    Cookies:
    1 c. shortening
    1 c. sugar
    1 c. pumpkin (solid pack)
    1 egg
    2 c. flour
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 c. raisins (optional)

    Cream shorting and sugar. Beat in pumpkin and egg. Sift dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture. (Stir in raisins, but I usually leave them out.) Drop from teaspoon onto cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 min. at 375 degrees. Frost while still warm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a teacher, but a school psychologist. We started back a few weeks ago. That grieving is so true!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, beautiful weather, pumpkin pie, apple cider, Ravens football, your neighbors new little baby;), good fall movies coming out, christmas shopping....that's all i've got for now:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I was planning on following you anyway, then I got to #9 and got so excited. I love, love, love pumpkin cookies, which is silly because I otherwise don't like pumpkin but in cookies its great! Can't wait to try it. As for #10: wool sweaters, college football, changing leaves, pumpkin patches...

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Nothing makes me happier (except chocolate and cupcakes... but really, who can compete with them?)