I've started this blog to document my journey running while balancing motherhood, and eventually if I'm lucky enough, my next pregnancy.

Thursday, September 2, 2010

New Shoes and Looking Forward to the Runner's Nod


My sweet hubby got me new running shoes today (okay... to be totally honest, he just picked them up. I told him which shoes to get. I had a coupon for $20 off so I got my ASICS GT 2150's for $80! But he did pick up some of my Wild Cherry Shot Bloks on his own. I was surprised he remembered they were my favorite, but besides being a really sweet and attentive husband lately, he is probably used to seeing my empty wrappers after I empty the contents of my sweat soaked Spibelt on the floor. Yeah... I'm that messy.)

I love getting new shoes, any new shoes, but running shoes especially. The first run in new running shoes makes me feel like I'm floating, like I'm in the movie Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and just running in mid air. Here's what I think I look like in my new shoes.

And having new shoes reminds me that I have invested myself in this sport, that I've invested in my health. (I always laugh at the fitness magazines that claim running is a sport that requires little investment. After the $100 shoes, the good sports bras, the socks, the anti-chaffing lotions, the winter gear, the running shorts, shirts, pants, or absolutely adorable and must-have-them-to-run skirts, race entries, and watch, running becomes pretty pricey!)

I originally had a 5 mile run planned tonight, but Thursdays are a particularly difficult teaching day for me. I don't have any planning periods and teach every single class period; and since I teach on my feet and jump/run/pace/flitter around in attempts to keep my students' attention, my legs just aren't going to carry me anymore tonight. So I've decided to go to bed right after posting this (I realize it's only 8 p.m., but man, I'm really tired) and get up at 4:30 to get my miles in. I know I'll be excited to put on my new shoes which will hopefully help me out of bed. It's cooler that early anyway;I love running in the dark (especially early morning dark because I don't have to worry about the man/men in the windowless white van stealing me off the streets. I still have to worry about spiders, though...). And to top it off, I love being in my neighborhood's early morning run club. When you pass someone running at 4:30 in the morning, you know they are super dedicated to running. There's nothing better than the runner's nod-- that's the nod hello, usually without words that says, "I know you're hard core. Just like me. No one else is crazy enough to get up this early otherwise". Truthfully, those 4:30 a.m. runners are usually flying past me, but they still give me the nod and it makes me feel really good to be a part of their club. I can't beat them with speed, but I can join them with heart. :)



1 comment:

I'd love to hear from you. Nothing makes me happier (except chocolate and cupcakes... but really, who can compete with them?)