I've started this blog to document my journey running while balancing motherhood, and eventually if I'm lucky enough, my next pregnancy.

Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year, New Goals



I'm not going to make wide sweeping statements like "2011 is going to be the start of a whole new me" or "In 2011, I'm going to limit my sugar intake to two small granules" or "In 2011, I'm going to learn to speak 2 languages fluently" (and thankfully none of the bloggers out there are making them either. But I do hear odd statements like this out in the real world. Okay, the sugar one is a slight exaggeration). I don't do well with resolutions. I tend to make them too large, too difficult to achieve. And then when I don't reach them, I get a little down on myself.
So I'm not going to make any resolutions. I have some goals, but I was planning to do these things whether it was a new year or not (and I think using the word goal makes the challenge a little less daunting. This is what I'm striving to achieve, not what I MUST achieve or else. So here they are.

1. Shave 13 minutes off my half marathon time to bring me to 2:30 (and hey, if I get better than that, I'm even happier).

2. Read more. I've spent the last 5 years getting my Master's Degree and 3 years being a mom. There just hasn't been a lot of extra time for reading since I took up running. But now that I've finally finished with my Master's (YIPPEE), I can actually read books I WANT to read. I can't wait!

3. Make it into the studio at least once every couple of months. I'm a metalsmith (bettcha didn't know that, huh), and last May I had a showing of my jewelry. The stress and work leading up to the show was so intense that once it was over, I was a little burned out on making jewelry or having anything to do with going into the studio. But now I've got the creative itch again. It's a wonderful release to work with a blow torch or a hammer to shape metal and create beauty. I really miss it.

my favorite piece from the collection- "Venus's Love"- a bezel set shell

my showcase
4. Be more present. I love my family, and I want to enjoy them even more.

5. Keep working on eating healthfully. This is always a work in progress, and before the holidays, the hubby and I were getting pretty good at this. If we just keep making little changes here and there like we were, we're going to be moving in the right direction.

Happy New Year, everyone!

1 comment:

I'd love to hear from you. Nothing makes me happier (except chocolate and cupcakes... but really, who can compete with them?)